Welcome to this edition of the Take Charge of Change podcast. In the podcast, I will out- line seven strategies that will help you to plan for a great 2017.
For the audio only click play on the media player below!
- Resolve any unfinished personal issues this month. If 2017 is going to be amazing, you’ll need to drive it forward in a focused manner. Unresolved issues sap energy and create a distraction. Take action to resolve conflicts with people who support you. Look inward to determine where you have conflicted with yourself. Set time aside to consider, commit and be accountable for your preferred future
- Take stock of all your opportunities. As soon as the year starts, you’ll likely get right into daily work patterns that went on hiatus during the holidays. If buried in the day to day, you may gloss over great opportunities only visible from a high level. Use the holiday down time to reflect, and to make a list of every potential opportunity that can improve your life and business.
- List three obstacles you can reasonably eliminate. Many of life’s obstacles aren’t complicated or even difficult to overcome, but they do require focus and commitment. Start by honestly assessing 2016 to determine who or what got in the way of your success. Chances are a few of these same obstacles are threatening your happiness in 2017 as well. Pick three that you can work on over the next 90 days and get a jump on them. Start with the obstacles where you have the most control: your bad habits.
- List five people you are committed to meet. Somewhere out there are people who can help you. They may be role models, mentors, referral sources or even new partners. These people can help take your performance and rewards to a whole new level. The only reason they don’t do it now is that you haven’t built a relationship of mutual value.
- Identify critical skills to master. Most of us are the happiest learning. Learning a challenging skill boosts confidence and creates a sense of accomplishment. Figure out a couple of new skills that will increase your profile and usefulness to those around you. Budget the time in 2017 to ensure you have the necessary hours to make it happen.
- Schedule calendar time in January with those you value the most. Everyone is busy during the holidays. End-of-year commitments, holiday parties, and travel to see family can all keep people from having quality one-on-one time. There are people in your life who bring you joy, learning, and growth. Time with them is precious and sparse. Reach out to them today and get a January lunch on the calendar before year-end.
- Plan an Amazing New Year’s Eve. There’s a good reason New Year’s Eve is the only holiday celebrated by nearly everyone on the same day worldwide, regardless of nationality, race or religion. It is a celebration of new beginnings.
I hope you enjoyed this edition of the podcast. If you want to help your staff or teams enhance professional and personal productivity, be sure to contact us. We would love to start a conversation.
You can download the free eBook, The Resilient Professional at the end of this post.